The IEEE Chapter at American University of Sharjah is one of the most prestigious student organizations at the university. It is affiliated to the IEEE – the world’s largest technical professional organization. Our chapter has a strong legacy of active community involvement and widely acclaimed events that range from workshops on campus to annual international study tours. I had the honor of serving as the chapter President for the academic year 2018-19.
Chapter President (2018-2019)
- Organizing a study tour for engineering students to visit Italy and experience visits to research laboratories, universities and industries in the region.
- Worked with Electrical Engineering Department at AUS to organize a trip to the Headquarters of Dubai Police, where students studied state-of-the-art technologies in Image Processing, AI, Communication Systems and Radar.
- Organized and presented technical workshops on use of software such as MATLAB and LaTeX.
- Worked to advertise the club and its’ events by participating in the AUS Club Fair for the first time.
- Collaborated with chapters on campus to invite speakers from IBM to hold a seminar series on data science.
- Collaborated with chapters on campus to organize a Capture The Flag Competition and a Programming Contest.
- Expanded the scope of the chapter to wider audiences by organizing the chapter’s first non-technical event – a movie night before spring break.
- Organized and presented a workshop for freshman students on writing effective laboratory reports.
- Worked with conference chairs to help organize the International Conference on Communications, Signal Processing and their Applications (ICCSPA), 2019.
- Worked with faculty to help organize the AUS Symposium on Biosciences and Bioengineering.
- Organized course-help sessions where electrical engineering students were given the opportunity to interact with high-performing students over specifics of their courses.
Chapter Executive Secretary (2017-2018)
- Managed the communications for organizing a study trip to Barcelona, Spain where students visited the research labs at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, as well as various industries.
- Presented a workshop on advanced numerical techniques for the engineering community at AUS.
- Coordinated the communications for organizing a large scale panel discussion on Artificial Intelligence. The panel comprised of experts discussing AI from engineering, societal and ethical perspectives.
- Worked with the student council to participate in the Festival of Colleges, where student clubs showcased their domain of interest. The IEEE stall attracted many visitors for its electrical engineering games and trivia.
- Drafted all the emails and invitations for professional communication of club events and managed the club’s outreach program.
- Organized IEEE Day in October with the theme of Breast Cancer Awareness.
Chapter Student Officer (2017)
- Worked with interest oriented clubs on campus to organize the “Know Your Major” Series, where professors from different disciplines of electrical and computer engineering spoke to students about their fields and research.